Saturday 11 February 2012

library cards and custard creams

(this is a post a wrote a long time ago, have just found it saved. Think I was going to add photos)

It would be hard to remember when and where I found my love for all things vintage.


For as long as I can remember I have always preferred old over new. Which is very odd to the majority of people.


Ten years ago it was considered shabby ( in the old sense of the word not the new one related to shabby chic) to set foot inside a charity shop but now you see all walks of life stepping inside.


It is very interesting to take a look at these people if you can take a minute out to observe. It is quite easy to spot the 'on the look out for ebay sellers', the 'just browsing for myself buyers' and then of course the people who in these recession times are simply there because they have to be.


Charity shops are quite busy these days!


Anyway, back to my own love.


I think it has gradually blossomed, gradually been formed.


From visiting other friends parents homes as a teenager (I particulary used to love staying at one friends house who had her own top floor but no heating, it seemed so exciting to have to huddle round the fan heater to get dressed for school in the morning - I know, I'm odd), to buying our first home.


Our first home.


Golly, it seems so long ago but I will never forget getting the keys, sleeping on the floor the first night because we were so excited. That house was in Bishops Stortford, a two up, two down but it was so full of character. 200 years old and all ours (well, ok, with the commitment of a mortgage)!


Since our first home we have moved around the country and lived in seven houses!


Our home previous to our current was the house of my dreams. All I have ever wanted. Victorian, big windows, open fireplaces, big rooms, sweeping staircase, cellars, playroom, I could go on. When we moved in with the children it was lovely, we had a Christmas tree in the hall, a seven foot Christmas tree in the living room, a ten foot in the bedroom (no, I was joking on that one!), I thought that was it.


Well, obviously not!


The location turned out to not be what we imagined, the neighbours seriously put me off (even made a pass at me) and the bills were extortionate. It seemed to be one thing after another and we decided to sell.


I will always miss that house. But a house is a house. I still have dreams. Just practical ones that won't be easily misled this time.


Next time I will choose my house wisely, I will be able to afford it, it will tick every box and look like the vintage fairy has vomited everywhere!


Until then I will be content with what I have. I am lucky. I will continue to charity shop, to add to treasures inherited from my Gran. I will share with you snippets of what I am proud of and I will thank my lucky stars that we didn't go bankrupt!


Let's celebrate vintage and make sure its not just a passing fancy. Support your local charity shops, save the treaures inside, blog about your finds, don't let this 'trend' end I've only just come into my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment