Monday 12 October 2009

pink milk, cheddars and avoiding fig rolls

What did I do today?

Not a lot, apart from school run and shop and worry.

Thats just all quite normal for me though in the winter months.

But something did get me thinking today. An article in the Daily Mail.

I don't often buy a paper. I read bits of the Sunday Times when husband buys it but apart from that am not a dedicated follower (I prefer to tune in to Jeremy Vine to keep myself updated).

The sideline on the front page caught my eye and I am a sucker for anything remotely pyschobabbly (yes, I think that that is just a word I have made up).

'Five Steps To Being Happy'

Wow, that sounds really direct and to the point and actually very easy, is that all it takes? Five steps?

Of course I know its not that simple but hey, its worth a read.

And, do you know what, it did actually cheer me up and make me realise on a day like today that I actually am happy (as I told you before, I am happy with my life, it's just on days like today you need reminding).

Sorry to repeat myself there, got a bit carried away.

So. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

the five things are:

Q. How often do you get to do things you really like?
A. A lot actually, I have a lovely husband that facilitates a lot of the hobbies that I enjoy

Q. How often do you find yourself actively looking forward to the day ahead?
A. Sometimes, about once or twice a week. According to the article thats quite a good answer

Q. How often do you get so involved in what you're doing that you lose track of time?
A. Again, a couple of times a week, usually with crochet but often with family or a friend. Again, a good answer

Q. How often do you feel invigorated at the end of a long, busy day?
A. Ha, Sorry that answer is rarely. I am always shattered. I do however sometimes feel proud of myself for getting through the day (thats not really the same though is it?)

Q. How often do you feel an emotional high?
A. Ah. Very often actually. Usually related to and in strong correlation to childrens moods and how good the thrifting day has panned out!

So. . . . . . . . .

After looking at the article and looking at my honest responses I realise that, according to the article, I am happy. And I am.

But, I do believe that this article is rather flawed. For I think that added to the above the secret of happiness is a good support network and a good chat.

I have a good support network. Although my family are far, I can rely on them at any time of day for a moan and a chat and even on the end of the phone just a sympathetic ear can calm me. Nearer to home I have a couple of friends that I know I can rely on (one in particular, as mentioned before) and according to researchers at the University of Michigan putting women in pairs can increase levels of progesterone, the hormone involved in social bonding and reducing anxiety and stress. HOW correct is that. Just chatting and taking your mind off a problem works a treat and perks you up no end. It's even better if the friend you are talking to is as honest as you are and admits that sometimes they are not perfect either. All this crap about the perfect mother, the perfect wife and the perfect 'life balance' just grates me. As favourite friend told me recently, we should all strive to be 'good enough'.

So, whatever you do, wherever you work, wherever you live, whatever you are. I hope that you are 'good enough', no, I am sure you are 'good enough' and that you are 'happy enough'.

Let's not strive for perfection. Lets strive for happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment